Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Wow!  I have not been a very consistent blogger, have I?
I'll try to turn over a new leaf.
I thought it might be fun to give you a glimpse into the creative process that I go through when I am working on a house.  I work in a very intuitive way...I think that rooms are the most successful when not overly "designed" from the beginning.  I like to figure out the main furniture pieces and functional seating arrangements, and then just let things evolve.  It requires a certain amount of trust from a client for them to give the thumbs up to a concept without knowing every last accessory, but it gives the rooms a more authentic feeling and allows for me to work with clients to bring some of themselves into the project so that it actually feels like their house.

I generally do little watercolors for clients in addition to my more technical floor plans.  Above is a little snippet of the bulletin board in my office, which is brimming with fabric and paint samples, inspiration photos and sketches.  This is the living room for client M, who just bought a 1920's house on the upper east side of Santa Barbara.  We are going for a classic American interior with a young and colorful twist. We're using gorgeous colors and iconic pieces and prints in an unexpected, fresh mix.
I'll keep you posted as the project progresses...it's a fantastic house and a fun client with great style.  So fun for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment